Evolving List of Why iPad - Evolved Mommy
This month’s issue (September 2010… hello? When I received it August wasn’t even here yet) of Macworld features a two-page centerfold of a women laying on a blanket in a park presumably reading on her iPad. She’s not a supermodel, just a regular girl. Like you and me. It was so refreshing to see this image in a magazine I normally just skim because it’s so guy-geared.
The article is about how the iPad has affected the whole life of those who own one. And it has.
Except for blogging (which I occasionally do on the iPad) I rarely open my MacBook these days. And my iPhone has been relegated to just making phone calls and taking pictures (yes, it’s an iPhone 4… remember, I’m married to a Mac addict).
When my hubby first mentioned the iPad more than a year ago I thought, “Oh great. Another freaking expensive toy that he is going to HAVE TO have. Awesome.”
Can you hear the sarcasm?
At that time we had no idea what it would be called or if it really even existed. His geeky gadget blogs were abuzz, but Apple is pretty serious about their secrets (lol). Who knew it would end up with such a feminine-napkiny name?
Of course we pre-ordered ours and waited anxiously for the FedEx driver on delivery day.
Nothing has been the same since.
On a daily basis I use my iPad to:
- read (books, blogs, articles)
- make notes
- play games
- RSVP for play dates
On a regular (but not daily basis) I use my iPad to:
- write blog posts
- participate in forums
- watch movies/TV/workout videos
- check the weather
- share documents
- check in on social media sites
- order CSA boxes
- cook from recipes
How do I do all of these things? Well here are the Apps I currently cannot live without:
- Flipboard – This is my #1 app and it is the one that makes the iPad worth every penny. It integrates Facebook, Twitter and your interest preferences into a personal magazine-style experience.
- Instapaper – A M A Z I N G articles. Enough said.
- NPR – Stories + Audio = Delight
- iBooks – I have actually read more books since getting the iPad than I had in all of the last year. My top recommendation is “The Help”, but go somewhere else for a review because that’s not my thing.
- Evernote – I still think there’s a better app out there somewhere, but I haven’t found it yet. This one is good, but it’s not terribly intuitive.
- WordPress – Use this one to blog and approve comments.
- Stumble Upon
- Slacker and Pandora – Put the iPad on it’s dock and connect to your home audio system for hours of listening euphoria.
- Craigsphone – You can see the pictures on the Craigslist listings without having to open them. Makes looking at other people’s weird stuff way more fun.
- Words HD – Words With Friends for the iPad
- NetFlix – Prop your iPad up in it’s case and do a different aerobics exercise (hypothetically, of course) every day.
- Meetup – This is where I RSVP for play dates. If your group uses a different service then get that one.
The thing with the iPad is this: it’s practically a laptop because you can do so much with it, but it’s way more portable. It easily fits in my diaper bag, purse or on the end table. It’s easy to hold and read while laying in bed. It’s easy to set down when a conversation starts.
I’d love to say something bad about it, so as to sound all unbiased and whatnot, but right now I can’t think of a thing.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION June 21, 2010 | evolvedmommy
Steve Jobs Was Always Kind To Me (Or, Regrets of An Asshole) | The Wirecutter... October 6, 2011 | evolvedmommy
I Am Mad at Facebook, But I’m Also Lazy August 22, 2010 | evolvedmommy
Currently Obsessed: Designer iPhone 5 Cases... February 12, 2013 | evolvedmommy
Top Posts & Pages
- Evolved Mommy Blog: The Latest Gadgets and Tech
- Gardening on the Brain & the Budget; How We Built Two Raised-Bed Gardens for Practically Free
- How to Create a Media Kit for Your Blog
- Designer iPhone 5 Cases | Summer Update
- Potty Training and Pinterest Parenting
- Feeling Motivated: eMeals New Clean Eating Plan
- Prettiest iPhone 5 Cases | Evolved Mommy Picks
- Secret Recipe for THE ULTIMATE Chocolate Cake